Thursday, May 04, 2006

In a Word: Geneology

So here I was just writing along one day, minding my own business, when out came this word: geneology.

I stopped writing and chewed on my pen for a second, trying to figure out what was wrong. Then my inner writer, being a bit impatient, snatched the pen out of my hand, drew a line through geneology, and wrote genealogy in its place.

"No, that can't be right," I said to my inner writer. "How can a word that's pronounced jee - nee - o - lo - jee have an 'A' in the middle of it? Why wouldn't it be spelled like endocrinology, microbiology, or zoology?"

He said, "Everybody knows it has an 'A' in it, stupid."

So I, being a bit stubborn, looked it up.

It turns out that my inner writer is a genius. I should have listened to him. It's genealogy. Fine.

Labels: