Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My Story Child Has Arrived

Well, it's happened. My baby's here. I penned the last word of my new short story last week, and it is everything I dreamed it would be. It's also a really devastating premise. By the end of writing it, I was so leveled that I went to bed and slept for almost twelve hours straight.

Some of you may not imagine how physically and emotionally trying it can be to write a story. When bad things happen to the character, and when I have truly become the character, then it's as if bad things happen to me. It can be awful. But it's also wonderful, because I know that I've captured something important.

I've given it a first-pass edit already, but that's probably all it will get for several months. The story is politically incorrect and at odds with "either side" in today's political turf war, so don't hold your breath for a publication date. Sorry. That's just one of those tough things about my job.

No matter. I love my baby anyway.

Labels: ,