Friday, October 13, 2006

Search Shakespeare

Check out this awesome resource for Shakespeare lovers: Shakespeare Searched.

I already own the Bevington edition of The Complete Works of Shakespeare, and it has an excellent index, but this search engine is much more useful than an index.

I especially like the fact that I can search for lines by character. For example, I remember Phoebe saying, "Sweet youth, I pray you, chide..." something-or-other. So I select Phoebe from the list and type "sweet youth pray chide" as the search string and I get:

As You Like It – Act 3, Scene 5
[surrounding text][citation]
Phebe
66. Sweet youth, I pray you, chide a year together:
67. I had rather hear you chide than this man woo.

How awesome is that?!

Hat tip to Scripsit for letting me know about the Clusty search engine.

Labels: