Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I'm Not Gone

Just so you know, Toiler is still alive. Nothing tragic has happened to him. In fact, things are going more-or-less well -- or maybe I should say that they're going more-and-less well.

I am still in the midst of learning how to write a plot novel, as I mentioned in several previous posts. Don't be surprised if I remain at this stage for another year or two. My current story isn't moving forward as quickly as I might like. (That's the less part.) But it is moving forward, and I'm still quite happy with it.

I've been able to hobble along without destroying this one the way I destroyed the last one. In other words, I think that I've been able to morph the story in the right ways to achieve the right ends without letting it outgrow me or go off in some weird direction. I also seem to be learning quite a lot about, not just writing, but also better methods of thinking. (That's the more part.)

To give you an example of what I mean, one of my biggest discoveries recently has been the danger of ordered lists. They can really get in the way of certain kinds of thinking. Odd, huh?

Anyway, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this art business. I'm in a good space. My plot is coming together, I like the characters, I like the setting, and I can't see anything about the story that might prove too difficult for a beginning novelist. All in all, I couldn't be much happier.

Labels: