Monday, January 09, 2006

Why Not Brontosaurus?

I just realized that one of my favorite words is underpants. Is that odd? I also like fantastic, enormous, Labrador, liquid, passion, and especially the phrase bow and arrow. I don't like anemone, rectitude, genital, lackadaisical, femininity, encyclopedic, and I especially don't like reconnoiter. I have not yet formed an opinion about platitudinous. And no, I am not looking these words up in a thesaurus. Remember, I am a writer. I have so many words stored in my mental lexicon that I sometimes realize only too late that I have no idea what I'm saying.

Speaking of thesaurus, where on earth did that word come from? I think brontosaurus would have been a much better choice.

Editor's Note (added 4:15PM): It's not surprising that these words ended up on my list — even the word underpants. Maybe tomorrow I'll explain (to you and me both) what makes these words stand out. Hint: It has something to do with the objective nature of language. (These aren't the only words I like, by the way.)