Friday, January 13, 2006

How Buff is Your Brain?

Want to know how to put an end to the mind-body dichotomy? Try putting some muscle in your brain! The site Strong Brains is a great place to start. It's basically a list of great reads, both ancient and modern, in subjects like Education, History, and Literature.

I especially recommend their list of literature to anyone who suffered through the intellectual wasteland that is modern education. If during college you read far more Stein than Steinbeck, then I'm talking to you. If when you said the name Homer to your English professor, he thought you meant Simpson, then I'm definitely talking to you. 

I'm also talking to me. In fact, I'm going to make it my goal to finish reading most of the works of Enlightenment-era Literature on their list by 2010. (I've read some of them already, and some of them I just can't bear to ever read, like Tolstoy's Master and Man. I got all the Tolstoy I will ever need from Anna Karenina.)